Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sloppy Joe's

I may have had these once, they were never my favorite. But then I saw this recipe.
This is my adaptation of it, mostly based on what I had on hand, but it turned out terrific!

Sloppy Joe's
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 c minced carrots
1/4 c chopped bell pepper
1 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt

1 lb ground beef
4 T ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce (or 1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes, puréed)
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 T red wine vinegar
2 T brown sugar
dash ground cloves
1/2 t dried oregano
dash cayenne pepper
2 t black pepper

Cook veggies and meat with spices separately then add them together. Next time I may just cook the meat first then add the veggies.

Joe Buns
1/4 c millet flour
1/2 c sorghum flour
1/4 c potato starch
1/2 c tapioca flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t xanthum
1/2 t salt
1 T sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c oil
1/2 c rice milk

Mix dry ingredients together then add eggs, oil, and milk. To make the Joe shaped buns, place gingerbread man cookie cutters on cookie sheet, spray well with oil mister (pan and cookie cutter), plop 1/4 batter in each man shape. I only had 2 cookie cutters, so I had to do this in 2 batches. 400 F for 10 min or so. They should be not mushy when done, let sit (2min, until cool enough to handle) before pushing out of cookie cutter and slicing. (based on this recipe)

I will update with pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment